Saturday, April 21, 2012 10AM-1:30PM
Sponsored by Friends of McMillan Park
Free tour and refreshments
Entrance: 1st St, NW & Mcmillan Drive
Completed in 1905, the reservoir and filtration plant were
named in honor of Senator James McMillan of Michigan, who
chaired the Senate Committee on the District of Columbia
and supported development of new water supply facilities.
McMillan Park was an integral part of Senator McMillan’s
“Emerald Necklace“ strategy for the Nation’s Capital.
The original McMillan Park gardens were designed by the
Olmstead’s. Frederick Olmstead Sr. is known as the “father
of American landscape architecture”, having designed New
York’s Central Park, the U.S. Capitol grounds, Stanford
University and the Niagara Reservation in Niagara Falls.
DC residents enjoyed access to McMillan park until WWII.
In 1985, the slow sand filtration plant at McMillan was
replaced with a new plant.
Come and see this historic site.