Come learn and ask questions of DGS
Department of General Services
The Department of General Services (DGS), a newly established District agency, provides cost-effective, centralized facility management services. In October of 2011, the agency assumed the functions and responsibilities of the Department of Real Estate Services (DRES), Office of Public Education Facilities Modernization (OPEFM), Municipal Facilities: Non-Capital agency, and the capital construction and real property management functions of several other District agencies.
DGS improves the efficiencies of basic services, while removing redundancies, to provide the most cost-effective management and ensure the best value of the District’s property acquisition, construction and maintenance resources.
The Department of General Services:
- Manages the capital improvement and construction program for District government facilities;
- Acquires real property, by purchase or lease, for use by the District government;
- Manages space in buildings and adjacent areas operated and leased by the District government;
- Provides building services for facilities owned and occupied by the District government, including engineering services, custodial services, security services, energy conservation, utilities management, maintenance, inspection and planning, and repairs and non-structural improvements; and
- Disposes of District real and personal property through sales, leases, or other authorized methods.