Councilmember Tommy Wells and the Committee on Libraries, Parks, Recreation, and Planning have several upcoming events that may be of interest to you:
Rosedale Library Opening – October 18, 2012
On Thursday, October 18, 2012 at 11 am, please join Mayor Vincent Gray, Councilmember Tommy Wells, DC Public Library, and the friends and neighbors of Rosedale for the ribbon cutting of the new Rosedale library, located in the Rosedale Community Center and Library at 1700 Gales Street, NE. The new 5,000 square foot library features:
- Separate spaces for adults, teens and children
- 15,000 new books DVDs and other library materials
- 26 computers (including 4 Macs for teens and 4 for children)
- Early literacy station for young children
- comfortable lounge seating
An Open House/Grand Opening Celebration for the new Rosedale Library will be held on Saturday October 20, 2012 from 11:00 am – 4:00 pm.
Tommy’s Traveling Book Club – October 23, 2012
Please join Councilmember Wells on Tuesday, October 23rd, for the next session of “Tommy’s Traveling Book Club”, a quarterly discussion group coordinated by the Federation of Friends of the DC Public Library. Each event occurs at a different branch library. The October book club will be from 6:30 – 8pm at the Cleveland Park Library (3310 Connecticut Avenue NW). Councilmember Wells will lead a discussion on “Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life” by Barbara Kingsolver. The book chronicles the author’s first year living in rural Appalachia, when her family challenged themselves to spend one year eating only food grown in their own community or else learn to live without it. Described as part memoir, part journalistic investigation, “Animal, Vegetable, Miracle” achieved critical and commercial success. Check out a copy at the DC Public Library: http://catalog.dclibrary.org/vufind/Record/ocm77573806
- Public Hearing, Monday, October 22, 2012, 1pm, Room 500 - PR 19-819, the “Central 14th Street Corridor Small Area Action Plan Approval Resolution of 2012″. The proposed resolution would approve a small area action plan for the Central 14th Street corridor in Ward 4; the plan’s purpose is to direct economic growth along the corridor. Click here to view the Notice of Public Hearing”.
- Public Oversight Roundtable, Thursday, October 1;30pm,Room 412 – “Security at the DC Public Library”, to discuss library security issues and recent thefts, the Fiscal Year 2013 budget allocation for security systems and other related issues. Click here to view the “Notice of Public Oversight Roundtable”
- Public Hearing, Thursday October 25, 2012, 11am, Room 412 – Bill 19-883, the “District of Columbia Public Library Hours Expansion Act of 2012″. The proposed bill would require specific minimum operating hours in the DC Public Library system, subject to appropriation. Click here to view the “Notice of Public Hearing”.
- Public Oversight Roundtable, Tuesday October 31, 2012, 10am, Room 412 – The “Fiscal Year 2013 Department of Parks and Recreation Initiatives: Park Policy and Programs Division and the Park Improvements Capital Project”. The roundtable is an opportunity for DPR to describe its progress on these new initiatives, which include significant work on DC parks and playgrounds, and an opportunity for the public to provide feedback and priorities related to these initiatives. Click here to view the revised “Notice of Public Oversight Roundtable” This roundtable was rescheduled from October 30, 2012.
All hearings are open to the public and testimony is encouraged. If you wish to participate in any hearing, please contact Ms. Tawanna Shuford at 202-727-8204 or via email at email@example.com.
Director of Constituent Services for the Committee on
Libraries, Parks, Recreation and Planning
1350 Pennsylvania Avenue N.W. Suite 117
Washington, DC 20004
Phone 202-727-8204, Fax 202-724-4724.