We have several annual events that we would like to continue in 2016, as well as some new ideas that we hope you’ll enjoy. Joining or leading a committee is a great way to meet more neighbors and make an impact!
If you are interested in a joining committee for any of these events, please contact David Hall, President, at email@example.com….
- Spring Clean-Up and Beautification Day in March/April – Neighbors get free mulch and plants for public spaces and help pick up debris together. This is usually held around Earth Day, in coordination with similar activities in adjoining neighborhoods.
- Flower Power in May/June – This event has been a neighborhood favorite for years! It is BACA’s major fundraiser and a nice way to spend an afternoon – first, walking around our neighborhood admiring and recognizing the work people have put into their front and back yards and tree boxes; and afterwards, enjoying each other’s company over drinks and refreshments at a garden reception.
- Movies at Florida Ave. Park – These were a hit with kids and adults alike in past years during the summer and fall. Geovani Bonilla has volunteered to begin coordinating these events for this year, together with the Bloomingdale Civic Association, but he will need help!
- Ward 5 National Night Out likely in August – BACA has hosted this event in coordination with MPD in recent past years with a great turnout; we hope to be selected to host the event again this year! Neighbors learned crime prevention and safety tips and enjoyed food, competitive games, and other entertainment, along with the opportunity to interact with MPD Command staff and Beat Officers.
- Autumn Clean-Up in September/October – More cleaning, beautifying, and being outside on a lovely day never hurts. 🙂
- Nominating Committee for Board Elections in June/July – Officers serve for two-year terms that end in October 2016; we may consider amending the BACA by-laws to provide for staggered elections of Executive Officers and At-Large Board Members.
- Historical Committee – The BACA/Truxton Circle area has a rich history, and the many changes in and around our neighborhood over the past several years make it all the more important to keep this history alive.