July, 1, 2019
Called to order at 7:05p
Welcome and Officer’s Report
- $6,600 donation from N. Capitol Community — need to decide how to spend on fencing or community beautification
MPD Updates (Capt. Kim)
- Crime update:
- 2 illegal handguns recovered
- 8 distribution arrests
- unlawful entry
- liquid PCP
- Bates unit block Friday morning (3a) gun battle under ongoing investigation
- Unit block of Q ST and P ST — lots of rounds shot, personal (had a target), the co-op would like to put up a camera
- 100 block of Q ST NW (northside) — 15-20 individuals hanging out. One house allows them to congregate. No loitering laws.
- Is it possible to bar individuals that don’t live here and are causing problems? Possible solutions:
- Stay aways. Use to be a 5 block radius but now it’s just the block
- Can’t use stay aways on individuals that can prove that they live on the block
- For use with individuals with priors and current pending cases
- 3rd and P ST — loitering of a large group in front and behind businesses
- 8 distribution arrests in the last month
- Mountain bikes are more stealth and are being used in our neighborhoods
- Narcotics dept. — Trying to get them in the neighborhood to do more buy busts.
- Fireworks 4th of July is a nightmare for police. Extra police will be in our area. Some fireworks being shot at cars.
- Small fireworks legal in DC. If stands are licensed there is nothing police can do.
- 3D and 5D coordination. Citizens feel like there isn’t knowledge sharing. We keep repeating areas of concern.
- Organizing a community walk with MPD in August on a Tuesday evening after work hours to include more neighbors.
- BACA will mail a list of problem areas to law enforcement.
Updates from the Mayor’s office (Mr. Chestnut)
- Kickoff of Marian Barry Youth Work Experience — 40th year
- Dave Thomas Circle, DDOT updates at last meeting:
- Bike lanes increased (West Virgina Ave)
- New painted crosswalks
- Protected bike lanes west and east on Florida Ave
- K St northbound will be one lane
- Florida Ave parking (part time now) will be permanent
- 2021 will be the start date
- DC Microtransit
- Ride share app
- $3 // free until Oct.
- Looking for feedback — hours, wait time (currently Mon-Thurs)
- 4th of July parade at Barrack Row and Palisades
- P and 3rd St Business
- DCRA — you can file a complaint on a business
Updates from Councilmember’s office (Kelly Cisclo)
- July 9th listening session // AG has a new bill of rights
- Health Survey — July 12th deadline
- National Building Museum — August 13th is Ward 5 Day
- Litter from loitering. DPW “Don’t litter in my DC”
- DPW puts trash cans in commercial areas. Laws on books and signage.
- Corner of Florida Ave and Q St. Dept. of Behavioral Health sent a mobile health bus.
Updates from ANC Commissioners
- ANC public meeting
- stop signage issue at 1st and Bates – unanimous support from ANC
- Bloomingdale traffic calming issue — DDOT plan acceptable to Comm. Holiday but not Comm. Lewis
- removal of parking spots and extended curbs
- resolution passed
- Bikeshare installation at R ST NE and Capitol ST NE — not a place recommended but a block away for safety
- ANC meeting video is available online
- Florida Ave and Q ST development project manager presented:
- Timeline: groundbreaking late winter 2019/early summer 2020
- BZA meeting Sept. 11 — going to ask them to move back meeting so ANC can meet on Sept. 18th and pass approval and continue the process
BACA Donation from 1600 N. Capitol development
- Negotiated a few years ago as part of a community benefits package
- North Capitol development benefit payment $6600
- Stipulations: gates and fencing
- Looking for ideas about spending this money, sending out a survey
- July 12th Movie Night at New York Ave Park with Hanover Assoc.
- July 28th Community Health Fair
- Sept. 21 Florida Ave Park Community Love Event with Miles Holloway organizing
- Sept. 9th – Next Meeting