for Twitter users: what #hashtag should be used for the neighborhood?

Okay, mission-critical topic here!

How many people who live, work, shop, visit or worship in the Bates Area are Twitter users?

Twitter image

If you aren’t a Twitter user, it’s okay. But if you ARE a Twitter user, then you may have noticed that a #hashtag –“People use the hashtag symbol # before a relevant keyword or phrase (no spaces) in their Tweet to categorize those Tweets and help them show more easily in Twitter Search” — for the Bates Area has not yet been established.

Everyone seems to be using a different hashtag for the community, so that makes searching for them or following them a challenge.

Bloomingdale has an established hashtag of “BloomingdaleDC.”

LeDroit Park has an established hashtag of “LeDroitPark.”

The Bates Area does not have an established Twitter hashtag. Rather frustrating.

So this post is an attempt to get Bates Area Twitter users to come to some agreement about what to use.

Here are some suggestions:

#bates – not recommended
#batesDC
#batesarea

(keep in mind that there is a Bates College in Maine, so using something broad like #bates should be avoided. And yes, Bates College does have its @BatesCollege. But Bloomingdale could not really use #Bloomingdale, because of the Bloomingdales department store. Something more granular like BloomingdaleDC was needed.)

Okay, let’s include the “forbidden” neighborhood name of Truxton Circle:

#truxton
#truxtonDC

@TruxtonCircle –appears to be claimed by a person in the neighborhood

And then there is the neighborhood name of Dunbar Shaw promoted by Jenifer Ragins:

#Dunbar – I see some tweets from Dunbar High School students….
#DunbarShaw

How about East Shaw…?

#EastShaw

What else?

Anyway, I am not sure how to proceed from here to encourage neighborhood Twitter users to all use the same hashtag.

Comments?

About these ads
This entry was posted in Community Information. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to for Twitter users: what #hashtag should be used for the neighborhood?

1. scottrobertsinbloomingdale says:

Anyone alive out there…?

2. Brian C. says:

I’ve always used #TheTrux, though at least half-jokingly. It’s at least distinctive. Probably the most important thing is that it’s somewhat recognizable? To the extent this little part of town has any recognition outside of these blocks, it’s probably based on the Truxton Circle name, if only based on the flags along the street, right? Anything using that a a route makes sense to me.

3. Brian says:

I’ve always used #TheTrux, though at least half-jokingly. I don’t have any strong opinions on the right name, but to the extent this little chunk of town has any name recognition outside of itself, it’s probably based on the Truxton Circle name, if only because of the banners on the street, right? Anything based on that root makes sense to me.

4. Rachel says:

To my knowledge no one outside of the area uses Bates to describe this area. While I know Truxton Circle isn’t popular, it seems to be the only semi-recognizable name of the neighborhood. I could get on board with #TheTrux.

5. Dave says:

I think #EastShaw doesn’t make sense, since a lot of people consider East Shaw to be the area immediately west of NJ ave (http://eastshawdc.blogspot.com/ for instance). #TheTrux sounds good.

6. imgoph says:

I’d go with #TruxtonCircle. #TheTrux might be a little too cutesy.