Congrats to Fresh Cuts Barber Shop and not-yet-opened Republic Cantina!
Mayor Bowser Awards $2.6 Million to 53 Recipients of 2018 Great Streets Small Business Grants
(WASHINGTON, DC) – Mayor Muriel Bowser today awarded over $2.6 million in Great Streets Small Business Capital Improvement Reimbursement Grants to 53 small businesses across all eight wards. This investment continues the Bowser Administration’s efforts to support local businesses, create new job opportunities for DC residents, and grow the District’s emerging neighborhoods.
“Small businesses are the backbone of our economy – they create jobs and business for DC residents and neighborhoods and help us give Washingtonians in all eight wards a fair shot,” said Mayor Bowser. “It is fitting that we celebrate the Great Streets grantees during Small Business Week, highlighting all they do to create opportunity and drive innovation in Washington, DC.”
The competitive grants were awarded to small business owners who represent the District’s diverse business community, from restaurants and retail to fitness centers and creative spaces. The Fiscal Year 2018 grantees include:
- Ward 1: Habesha Market, Harrar Coffee and Roastery, Howard Deli, Johnnie’s Florist, A-List Cultivating Salon, Sticky Fingers Sweets & Eats, SWEAT DC, Paisley Fig, Patrick’s Pet Care, Picture Frame Factory Corporation, Rise Bakery, Urban Scoop
- Ward 2: Imm Thai on 9th restaurant
- Ward 3: Sports Performance Group Fitness
- Ward 4: BBQ Bus Smokehouse, Catherine’s Kitchen, Fia’s Fabulous Finds, Freeman’s House of Styles, Gedera Market, Haute Hair, Imm Thai on Georgia, Lulabelle’s Sweet Shop, L’Enfant Florist, PRMP Brow and Beauty Studio, Sandovan Restaurant & Lounge, Three Stars Brewing Company, UMAC World Child Development, Uneeda Market
- Ward 5: Calabash Tea and Tonic, Creative Grounds DC, Dudley Beauty College, Fitness Snob Studio, Fresh Cuts Barbershop, Fun It Up DMV, Gravitas NW, Jam Doung Style, Midtown Market, Number 1 Sons, Republic Cantina, Tastemakers Incubator, T&G Grocery
- Ward 6: Lagree DC, Sidamo Coffee and Tea, Solid State Books
- Ward 7: Capitol Wings Factory, Helen Mart, Powell Manufacturing Industries, Inc.
- Ward 8: Duende District, Honfleur Limited Arts, Martin’s Foodtown, PJ’s Cut and Style Salon, Pro Cut Barbershop, Reel Brothers Enterprise
The Great Streets program aims to transform 13 designated retail priority areas and foster small business development with new and existing businesses, stimulate job growth, and increase the District’s tax base to improve commercial vibrancy along the city’s corridors and surrounding neighborhoods. The areas are: Pennsylvania Avenue, SE; Georgia Avenue, NW; Nannie Helen Burroughs Avenue, NE; 7th Street, NW, North Capitol Street, NW & NE; Rhode Island Avenue, NE; Martin Luther King, Jr. Avenue, SE and South Capitol Street, SE; Minnesota Avenue and Benning Road, NE and SE; Bladensburg Road, NE; Connecticut Avenue, NW; U Street – 14th Street, NW; Wisconsin Avenue, NW; H Street-Bladensburg Road, NE.
Through Great Streets, the Bowser Administration has awarded more than $14 million to 274 small businesses and helped create an estimated 1,000 jobs.