Bates Area Civic Association
Feb. 4, 2019
Called to order at 7:02
Welcome and Officers’ Report
- $3009 in bank
- $20 per person to become a member
- 5B to 3B transition
- Violent crime slightly up, property crime slightly down, motor thefts slightly down
- Would like a list from BACA of areas of concern
- Learning curve to finding the hot spots, open lines of communication with community association makes a big difference in what can be accomplished
- Bike patrol: effective with 5D, will continue with 3D?
- Matrix: personel change, officer’s pick schedule, hoping to have more bike officers
- Kyle can help out getting information on security camera
- iWatch DC – send a message for something like suspicious vehicle or person,
- Text tip line
- List of areas of concern:
- Q St beween 1st and 3rd // Florida, south on 1st (west side)// spillage off of North Capitol into neighboring blocks (alleyways) // pop up block parties on Florida Ave and 3rd (302, 304 Florida avenue) // 308 florida ave // 1712 south st. // BP gas station – loitering, overdoses // unit block of r st between florida (walkway) // 4th and q // alley between p and bates
- Tree trimming – partnering with other city agencies for other resources, less cover for crime
- Noise violations for car alarms going off in the middle of the night? How to approach?
- 311: call for non-emergency // 911: for emergency // 50511 – texting the tip iine
- How to give recognition to a police officer? You can do this on the MPD website under commend or complaint
Updates from the Mayor’s office (Mr. Chestnut)
- Christmas tree pick-up until Feb. 8th . Please send block locations.
- In Feb, DC circulator is free
- Career services for high risk individuals
- Trinidad focus outreach was successful
- Council members asking for more money and people in the program
- Feb. 11 – town hall on budget items, // Feb 23-25 – other meetings
- Youth Employment Service – Feb. 16th
- New Bates daytime center at NY and Florida for
- At Presbyterian church
- Hours: 9a-5p
Updates from CM McDuffie’s office
- Budget process starts this week – every agency reviewed for performance
- Budget community meeting
- DC Water project – who would give free inspections for water damage
- 412 and 410 Richardson Place – BZA appealed permit // decision about occupany
Updates from ANC Commissioners
- Sunset Liquors – voting at Feb. 19th meeting// waiting for other members of the community to raise concerns
- Richardson appeal received – certificate of occupancy was given in error
- Feb. 19th Public ANC meeting. Agenda: Lot at North Capitol and Florida (since 2006) new designation of Bloomingdale as historic district, the plan was not deemed historic by the Bloomingdale Civic Assoc. 2.) DPW – snow emergency removal 3.) Wendy’s intersections, Eckington Civic Assoc has a demand letter from DDOT to come up with new solutions
- NY Ave. playground opening – renovations but no money for staffing. $500,000 available for staffing but not being used.
- Cell tower placement. DDOT March 21st meeting looking for community input.
- Citizen’s advisory council – 4th Thurs of the month. 1630 D St.
- Black Composers Dunbar Alumni concert for Black History Month this coming Saturday from 1-3p