Bates Area Civic Association Feb. 2020 Notes
Cpt. Kim provided an update on law enforcement issues.
- Year to date numbers — violent crime down 44%
- Special attention to Q ST
- Officer Young working directly on our blocks
- Question: Drug activity on R st in the evening (around 7:30p). Moved from Q St to R St? This has been going on for the last 3 weeks. They have cameras that should be able to see the activity.
- Question from community: 2-3 weeks ago Car fire on 3rd st and florida in the alleyway and set behind bodega — 2 car fires. Possible arson??
- Parking R St off Florida Ave by 3rd. People parking over the line on R ST. And it’s an accident waiting to happen because of speeding cars.
- 3rd St and Florida in cars — people pour white powder on scales in cars in broad daylight.
- 200 block between Q ST and Bates alley. Early evening. Any updates?
- 3rd and Bates house raid. Federal agents — FBI raid.
- Co-op problem spilling over into other home in the area. 212 Q ST.
- 216 R St. man arrested several times, but no record.
- Email specific information to Capt. Kim so they know what’s going on. He will share with the narcotics division.
Kelley Cislo provided an update from Councilmember McDuffie’s office.
- Fill out form online for budget request form: kenyanmcduffieward5.com/budget2020
- Community Impact Statements
- Very helpful in prosecution
- Kelly will reach out to OAG to see if there can be coordination to let the community assoc. know when these are needed
- What we can do to get more MPD funding for your area and make arrests:
- Call 911 if you see anything
- Be specific in descriptions of who and what is going on; any patterns in crime (timeframe)
- Share camera footage if you capture anything illegal going on
- Community: Thank you for the 3rd and Florida Ave DDOT signs. This happened very quickly.
- White flexi posts on 1st St NW
- Some are hard to turn around. We need DDOT to come out and take a look. Not properly aligned.
- 3rd St. sinkhole in the middle of the road.
- Ward 5 DDOT meeting 12-2p. What their plans are in ward 5.
Alex Lopez from Eckington to DDOT to talk about pedestrian death
- NorthCap most dangerous street in district
- 6 pedestrian in the last 18 months
- North Capitol Needs Assessment Study sponsored by NOMA bid — 60 specific improvements
- Letter — asks the Mayor speeds up the process of implementation of these fixes; not in alignment with Mayor’s Vision Zero
- Want short term solutions done immediately; start on longer term solutions
Dominque Chestnutt provided an update from the mayor’s office, making the following points:
- DDOT presenting at the Trinidad Rec. Center — traffic safety
- Feb. 18— New Edward Rec Center — Budget priorities for Ward 5,
- Schedule H tax credit — income eligibility for renters or homeowners making 50-75K
- DPCS — 6 week program for teens in local government // DC 2020 census for adult employment starts at $20 to $30 per hour
- DHS — new youth drop in center for homeless teens // 900 Rhode Island NE // food, showers, mental health
- Feb. 22nd Community Health Fair
- Complaint: Q ST zone parking for Maryland tags, outside residents parking
5E06 ANC commissioner Karla Lewis provided an update and made the following points:
- Flexposts on 1 St.
- shorten the length of the crosswalk giving pedestrians less space to interact with traffic/safer
- Wider turns because the road looks narrower// turning into other lane of traffic
- Neighborhood wanted traffic calming because hospital traffic getting to major roads
- Other solutions: Flashing stop lights, speed humps, traffic cameras
- Karla is going to write a letter explaining the problems of flex post to DDOT.
5E05 ANC Commissioner Bradley Thomas presented and made the following points:
- Deadline for Comprehensive plan (traffic, safety, development of business/residents)
- NY Ave Playground:
- Presented 4 different plans for NY Ave playground.
- 3 months for construction. Early August to Nov.