On December 10th, the DC Council will begin considering the proposed redevelopment of the currently vacant J. F. Cook School by YouthBuild Public Charter School and Latin American Youth Center. YouthBuild will serve 150 additional students, aged 16 – 24, per year at Cook who have not found success in traditional public schools. LAYC will provide affordable housing at Cook for 47 young adults, aged 18 – 24, in addition to services that will support their transition to successful adulthood. Currently, too many District youth drop out of school each year, and DC has 1,400 homeless youth, and only about 100 beds to shelter them. The Cook School Campus will address these issues!
YOUTHBUILD and LAYC NEED YOUR SUPPORT TO BRING MORE JOB TRAINING AND AFFORDABLE HOUSING TO DC!!!
Testify in support of PR 18-749, “J.F. COOK SCHOOL DISPOSITION APPROVAL RESOLUTION OF 2010”
- – December 10, 2010, 10 am
- – John A. Wilson Building, 1350 Pennsylvania Ave, NW, Room 500
- – Send your name, address, phone number, and organization (if any) to Aretha Latta, Administrative Assistant to the DC Council Committee of the Whole at email@example.com, or call her at 724-8196 by COB December 8th.
- – Bring 20 copies of your testimony on the day of the hearing.
- Can’t testify in person? Submit your testimony in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sign on to a letter of support.
- Individuals and organizations are encouraged to sign on, even if you are supporting us in other ways.
- Email us at email@example.com to view the letter and sign on.
Write your own letter of support to DC Councilmembers.
- Go to http://www.dccouncil.us/contactuscouncil for email addresses of councilmembers.
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for some suggested language to get you started.
Call DC Councilmembers to voice your support.
- Go to http://www.dccouncil.us/contactuscouncil for phone numbers of councilmembers.
- Don’t have time to call them all? We suggest concentrating on Councilmembers Gray and Thomas, in addition to your ward representative.
Want more information? Need talking points for testimony? Email us at email@example.com.