This was on a list serv for Eckington from Ward 5 Councilman Thomas
Recent Activities in Eckington
- Allocation of $835,000 in 2009 Budget Support Act for Bloomingdale/Eckington NIF projects. A NoFA has been issued for grants to support predevelopment and project financing for constfuction and rehabilitation of affordable housing, mixed use and community based facility projects. Maximum grant for this round is $145K. Application deadline in May 1.
- Allocation of $300,000 for Green Teams for North Capitol Street and Rhode Island Avenue
- Allocation of $2 million for upgrades to Harry Thomas Recreation Center
- Addition of Rhode Island Avenue and North Capitol Street to Great Streets initiative. Small Area Plan for RI Ave completed and to be submitted to Council soon.
- Introduced legislation to create property tax cap for commercial properties that develop neighborhood friendly retail or service businesses in the North Capitol St and RI Ave Great Street footprints
- Authored legislation to provide St Martins affordable housing project with property tax and construction abatements
- Working with DMPED to bring resolution to Firehouse project at N Capitol and Quincy
329 Rhode Island Avenue, NE
- Looking into possible alternatives to address situation, such as potential for condemnation